Retailer Checkers plans to open 12 standalone Petshop Science stores by the end of 2021 as it targets a growing pet market.
The Shoprite-owned group has already opened 10 Petshop Science stores in the past seven months, offering food, toys and other pet products at supermarket prices.
As part of the new branding, Checkers also launched what it calls “South Africa’s cheapest pet insurance product”, highlighting the booming animal economy of company in the country as more millennials choose to adopt pets instead of having children.
âWe saw a gap in the pet care market, and following the great response from customers to the first Petshop Science, we have been working hard to deploy more specialty pet stores,â said Willem Hunlun, Director of the operation of Checkers.
âOur goal has always been to provide customers with everything their four-legged friends could want and need, at supermarket prices.
Checkers opened its tenth Petshop Science store at Eden Meander in George on December 6, with two more store openings planned in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal in mid-December.
Here are the Petshop Science stores currently open in South Africa:
- Fairbridge Shopping Center, Brackenfell (Western Cape)
- Riverside Shopping Center, Rondebosch (Western Cape)
- N1 City Mall, Goodwood (Western Cape)
- Centurion Shopping Center, Centurion (Gauteng)
- Chamberlain Shopping Center, Silver Lakes, Pretoria (Gauteng)
- Northgate Center, Northgate (Gauteng)
- Woodburn, Pietermaritzburg (KwaZulu-Natal)
- Langenhoven Park, Bloemfontein (Free State)
- Place Preller, Bloemfontein (Free State)
- Eden Meander, George (Western Cape)
Petshop Science is part of a growing push by the Shoprite Group to expand beyond its traditional grocery market.
This includes the recent opening of the first Checkers Little Me baby store, a smaller Checkers Foods store, as well as the new MediRite Plus pharmacies.
Read: Old Mutual makes multibillion rand cash offer to owner of Sportsmans Warehouse and Sorbet